Thursday, March 5, 2009

Comic Book Day 3/4/09




I hope to make this a sort of weekly thing, to keep in the practice of writing. My mind is constantly stewing while I read this stuff, so why not pour out some hearty brain broth to share with everyone? I might even find a few new spices along the way.

Liking that stew/brain analogy? Yes. Yes, I thought so. Well, the pot is full, my friends, so expect some sweet, sweet leftovers in the days to come. Mmm... it's even better the day after!

So! This post contains capsule reviews of comics that came out this week. If you don't read comics, feel safe skipping this. It may run a bit long, but until someone tells me how to page break on this damned website, I am sort of screwed. Well, you are.

War of Kings #1 -- I have been following Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's (or DnA to nerds like me) stellar Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy series, so I figure this cosmic-event miniseries might strike my fancy. It's off to a fun start so far, though I'm a bit hung up on the whole "what the hell is going on what who is that should I care that he died" sensation I felt throughout the book. There's a huge barrier to entry on this thing; fittingly enough, there is a giant interstellar barrier featured in the first few pages. I suppose it goes to show that the barrier is taken down within the course of the issue, and things a'splode shortly thereafter. Really, any bewilderment is smashed each time I turn the page to see grossly detailed alien cities being torn apart by gigantic space weightlifters shooting lasers and punching each other in the throat. Props to frequent DnA partner Paul Pelletier and the rest of the art crew. I only expect it to get even better as the series goes on. No pressure, guys.

Batman: Cacophony #3 -- This is a strong end to a decent miniseries. The first two issues are fun, if in large part a retread on past Joker stories. There wasn't a whole lot to make it stand out next to Ledger's and Azzarello's recent takes, leaving author-created baddie Onomatopoeia to give the series some verve. It actually hits its stride when that crazy bastard takes off, leaving Batman and Joker to have a real heart-to-heart. The conversation is revealing and hilarious, and puts quite a different spin on two archenemies than we see in The Dark Knight. It's that scene that really "makes" the miniseries. I liked this quite a bit more than the only other Kevin Smith comic I've read (his short run on Daredevil), and it makes me wonder if I shouldn't seek out a bit more. Any man who can sneak in such a timely Christian Bale reference deserves at least that much.

Deadpool #8 -- I swear, each time I pick up this comic I think I'm going to tire of the relentlessly self-referential and pop-culture obsessed humor, but each new issue has made me laugh since the series started. I almost groaned when Deadpool announces to himself (himselves, I should say) that another bout of hallucination was heading our way, but I'll be damned if it wasn't aggravatingly funny. Is this series really gonna make me pick up Thunderbolts for the story tie-in? I am dangerously close to being obliged to do so.

Battlefields: Dear Billy #2 -- Admittedly, I'm a bit taken off-guard at how good this series is. This particular part of the Battlefields anthology (Dear Billy) has proven even more compelling than the previous installment (Night Witches). The latter has the benefit of a more engaging premise (Russian women in WWII become the terror of night skies in jalopy biplanes), but the former (the love affair of a soldier and a nurse with traumatic pasts) has a much stronger voice, thanks to its coldly hearfelt narration. As much as it surprises me to say, I think I liked this more than the other Garth Ennis book released this week.

The Boys #29 -- As much as I love this series, it does get bogged down a bit too often with corporate politics. Part of me thinks it heresy to befoul the name of Ennis' next big creator-owned series after Preacher, but scenes with two suits talking on cell phones just flat-out bore me, even if one of them is a loon who wants a recently deceased superhero resurrected into a mindless zombie. Thankfully, Hughie gets himself in trouble before the book's end, and the rest of The Boys declare that it is in fact business time. Lines like "He's savin' strippers" are why I read Ennis books. That and he finds great guys to draw hilarious gut-spattering violence. Darick Robertson's fill-in guy for this issue does a good job of keeping tone with the series, but it's a bit distracting when he doesn't get the faces quite right (see: Frenchie and The Female's big page just before the shit hits the fan). Looking forward to the conclusion of this arc -- seems like Mother's Milk's side story is finally paying off.

Told you it'd be long. Just imagine next week, where I get something insane like eleven or twelve comics.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not as far along as you are but when it comes to The Boys, I not only get bored sometimes with the endless "corporate politics", as you put it, but also Darick Robertson's art to me gets worse and worse as time goes on. The thing that kills me about it is that characters don't look the same sometimes from panel to panel. However... even though it doesn't even come close to the genius of Preacher, it still has enough trademark Ennis madness and hilarity to keep me reading until it's over.

    Also, I've read through the first two trades of Scalped. Great stuff. The dialogue alone is worth the price of the book alone.

    ReplyDelete