Sunday, May 10, 2009

Comic Book Day -- Catching Up Again

I'm sort of starting to wonder why I do these. I mean, I don't really have more than one or two "readers". I tell myself it's just an outlet, but I look back and all I see is the type of stuff I used to write for Nintendo fansites years ago. Still, the reason I started doing this was because I had all sorts of thoughts brewing without too many people to talk to about it. So it's sort of just me talking to myself. Like now!

Anyway.


The Literals #1-- This is just sort of an extra issue of Fables, but I'm not complaining. I've enjoyed getting to know the sadistic, bratty, god-like Kevin since this crossover event began. There's a good deal in the book that is just Kevin chatting with his creations (really, talking to himself) that's more compelling than the biggest fight scenes in the Wolverine movie. I'm going to savor this miniseries, as it ups the ante to three high-quality Fables books per month. Avengers, eat your heart out.

The Flash: Rebirth #2 -- I'm still waiting for this series to pick up steam. The whole thing is really continuity-heavy; the last-page reveal might shock and awe some, but I really have no idea what it means or why I should care. The art is still fantastic, though, and I have faith in Geoff Johns.

Deadpool #10
-- I'm tired of saying how enjoyable and funny this series is.



Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! #1 -- House of Mystery and Jack of Fables co-writer Matthew Sturges is my kind of smartass. This series, following the no-name Z-list villain who killed Martian Manhunter during the impenetrable Final Crisis, brings out his darker and more cynical side. We're given a character with no discernable redeeming qualities and asked to laugh as he fumbles around, running from capes and villains alike who want his head. I liked it, I admit, but I really hope this character has enough of an arc to last a six-issue series.

War of Kings #3
-- This mini finally kicked into gear, for me, when the talking raccoon and sentient warrior tree showed up; makes me glad I've been keeping up with Guardians. Maybe if I'd kept up with the myriad of other characters in this series throughout the years, I'd care a little more about this series. I am starting to like this Ronan guy a bit more, though. I think he's getting his own little War of Kings series?

Boys #30
-- Okay, so, we had some potentially game-changing mass murder last issue, and the payoff... more guys in suits talking back and forth. Seriously, Garth, you're killin' me here. If I wasn't attached to these characters so much (and if I wasn't a terrible Ennis fanboy), I would've dropped this book a little while ago.



Green Lantern #40
-- I don't know what it was, but this is the first issue of GL that's clicked with me in a few months' time. Before, I was tiring of the exploration of each colored Corps' origins and mythos, but I found myself pretty enthralled with the Orange Lanterns in this issue. Love that back-up story at the end, too -- I'll probably be looking to the Tales of the Corps mini for more of that.

Proof #19
-- I'm getting tired of talking about how enthralling, inventive and pretty this series is.

Nova #24
-- Whenever I open Nova, it's like sitting down to watch an episode of a consistently-good TV series. This is one of my most dependable reads. Lovin' that big Nova hardcover I just bought, too.



Rasl #4
-- God, this series is going to be over in like 20 years. Well, half that (literally). I guess a hundred pages a year of a soon-to-be-classic hard-boiled sci-fi mystery is better than none. I still get the feeling sometimes that Jeff Smith is trying a little too hard to separate this from Bone, though.

Battlefields: Tankies #1
-- I wasn't sure how Ennis could follow up the seminal Dear Billy after that last issue, but this mini is off to a strong start. It definitely helps that I was raised reading books and books of Scottish comic strips -- the dialect reads like butter for me, but I can see how it might be trouble for others. Anyone used to Cassidy in Preacher should be alright, I guess. I've often mentioned I'm a sucker for a lot of things -- a good Men on a Mission story belongs in that canon.

1 comment:

  1. If you need encouragement for continuing on with these comic posts, let me be the first to say I find them informative, fun, and they always clue me in to things I'm missing out on.

    Also, we got some Empowered books in (which do you need?) and the first Invincible hardcover. Want 'em?

    ReplyDelete